In managing a crisis press, the conference does not end with the act itself. On the contrary, some tasks are essential later on.
First, we need to develop an outline of the operations to send it via fax or e-mail urgently to those journalists who did not attend the press conference and requested us for it.
Also send it to those who have a special interest in the company, and it should also be disseminated among senior staff.
It is essential in crisis management monitoring, first in broadcast media and the next day in the writings of the impact of information from the press conference.
This is where the monitoring of important news is really essential. It has become a staple of public relations in crisis management as it serves as a benchmark for measuring and assessing the impact of the publication of news in the media selected for this purpose.
The news monitoring will allow us to measure the amount of media that is published in the news about our press conference, where our key messages are transmitted according to our press release and can also identify how they have taken our position, are they favorable, neutral or negative in crisis management.
I recommend sending a personalized letter to each of the attendees, thanking them for attending the press conference and publications, putting their orders if they wanted to enlarge or view on the topics covered.
It is appropriate in handling this crisis that any word or letter clarifies the confusing or inaccurate message that has been included in the coverage, making them know that you are available to discuss and clarify.
Included in this communication, should be the exact address of your office, your phone and your cell phone, and do not forget to give your email address. They should feel that nothing is hidden and that the press has access to the information source first hand, as this is very important.
Tips for crisis management:
• Keep an updated list of all media, its directors, operators, journalists and opinion of lines for each of them; know who to go to respond at any time before calling a press conference, even clear ten things which was asked by a reporter first, if necessary.
• For exploiting a crisis situation, put up a rapid response team (spokesmen) to meet the press when it comes to your office to find your version of events; also hold any press conference which can be convened, also form a substitute team.
• Rehearse, rehearse and rehearse before a press conference: continuously review your strategies for action and regularly update the manual of your questions and answers before a meeting with the journalists.
• Carry out mock questions and answers, because they often identify failures in this way and identify the best staff to cope and respond to journalists.
• The spokesperson should be trained regularly. Hire a specialist to educate the spokesmen in a “Media Training”. Remember to include in testing, the response of members of management and operational management of a crisis.